[ome-devel] python api example

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Thu Jul 2 19:04:05 BST 2009

zag at crs4.it writes:
 > Hi Josh.

Hi Gianluigi!

 > Things are proceeding on the hacking front.  We almost have the
 > glue needed to insert the deep sequencer images inside omerofs and
 > we will probably soon do something similar for an aperio
 > scanner. We will post on the developer forum what we did.

That'd be wonderful. Thanks.

 > I have, however, another question. Do you have some sort of high level
 > description of the object model that you then use to generate the
 > concrete java implementation of the objects and their hibernate
 > description?

 > We have a problem connected with the analysis of clinical data where we
 > are considering setting up something similar to the internals of omero,
 > and I was wondering if we can steal some of our ideas (and code,
 > possibly :-)).

 > --gianluigi

The current inputs to the code-generation for OMERO are under:

  https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/browser/trunk/components/model/resources/mappings

If you add another mapping file to that directory, and run the full
build (./build.py) you'll get all the objects your heart desires. But,
you won't have a new database. For that, edit the database version in
omero.properties to something specific for your site, and run:

 ./build.py build-schema

After that, "bin/omero db script" will produce a SQL script for
generating your new db.

A few words of warning:

  1) though the OME-Perl server was built with exactly this use in
  mind, and OMERO was _originally_ built to include it, we've made
  other design decisions since then. By doing this, you are breaking
  API compatibility with the official clients, and will have to
  package your own. Similarly, your clients will not be able to work
  with the official server.

  2) in the mid-term, we will be trying to move the code generation to
  no longer use the files under model/resources/mappings, and instead
  to use the XSD definitions directly. If you begin to build
  significant infrastructure based on this code generation, we may
  should talk first.

If the above isn't enough to scare you away and you'd still like more
information, ping me and I'll setup a wiki page on the trac. An
alternative is that you outline your use case, and we see who else is
in the same boat, and if there's not something we can do about it.

One way or the other, happy hacking.
~J.

 > p.s.
 > I do not have any objection on sending this message to the developer
 > forum, but it looks somewhat off-topic...

For ome-devel, I think it's just right. :)

~J.