[ome-devel] ome-tiff files: does it really needs to be namedxx.ome.tif ??

Ghislain Bonamy GBonamy at gnf.org
Tue Jan 13 21:09:46 GMT 2009

Curtis, Frans,

I am glad that this is issue is raised as .ext1.ext2 is in no way a
standard extension.

Perhaps, using simply a .tiff with a format specific IFD would make more
sense. In addition, this would allow for a mechanism to transform Tiff
based file formats more efficiently, and provide backward compatibility
with other readers.

For instance the Opera .flex file is roughly a Tiff file with some
specific header (and in some cases a specific compression of the pixel
data). One could think that adding the OME-XML header under an OME
specific IFD would make the most sense. While the original IFD would
remain unchanged.

On another note and still about metadata. As the metadata can become
extremely large, would it make sense to provide a mechanism to compress
it using deflate for instance? Or is there a mechanism for this?

Best,

Ghislain Bonamy, PhD

Research Investigator I

Genomic Institute of the

Novartis Research

Foundation

Department of Molecular & Cell Biology, room G214

10675 John Jay Hopkins Drive

San Diego CA 92121

USA

+1 (858) 812-1534 (W & F)

+1 (757) 941-4194 (H)

+1 (858) 354-7388 (M)

www.gnf.org

Hudson-Alpha Institute for Biotechnology

www.hudsonalpha.org