[ome-devel] API & Server changes in trunk

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Mon Jan 12 11:38:25 GMT 2009

Hi everyone,

with the approaching Beta4.0 release, things are going to get exciting
in subversion (trunk). I've just committed 60 patches from our work
with JCB, including the following:

  * OmeroClustering -- it is now possible to setup multiple blitz
    servers and have sticky sessions load-balanced.

  * Initial work on OmeroThrottling -- after ~1000 object loads we
    give the server a chance to garbage collect

  * All language bindings have a more substantial ClientCallback
    object with methods for session management.

  * Several new methods:
    - IAdmin.canUpdate -- check whether a user can modify an object
    - ISession.createSessionWithTimeouts()
    - ISession.getReferenceCount()
    - IDelete.deleteSettings()

The new methods are available right away in the javadocs:

http://hudson.openmicroscopy.org.uk/job/OMERO/javadoc/

but documentation on the higher level features (wiki words:
OmeroClustering, OmeroThrottling) will come during the next few weeks.
Those of you experienced with trunk are encouraged to give it a good
beating. For everyone else, we'll be announcing when we approach a
release candidate (RC).

Until then, best wishes,
~Josh.

P.S. after all the interest we saw at ASCB in the OME development
process, we wanted to try to put more of our internal banter on the
mailing lists. This won't happen right away (don't worry), but we're
keen to hear just what it is you might want to hear. :)