[ome-devel] Status update: OMERO-Beta4.0

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 13:42:28 GMT 2009

Dear All-

Happy Monday!

We are just writing to update you on our progress on OMERO-Beta4.0.
This is a big step for us-- in Beta4, we are making major changes in
the way the OMERO server and clients work, how they communicate with
one another, and most importantly, the level of functionality that
OMERO delivers.  This has been a very ambitious release, based on
feedback we've had from the community, and most importantly, positions
us for the functionality we are scheduling over the next year.  Some
highlights:

--  we have switched our clients completely over to using the ICE
framework and entirely removed any dependency on JBOSS.  This is a big
change, removes a substantial amount of overhead, and simplifies our
communications.

-- we are releasing a brand new client, OMERO.web.  This is our first
step in developing and releasing a fully functional web browser-based
client.

-- we have worked very hard on data import, providing a command line
data import facility, full metadata support for Zeiss LSM510, Zeiss
ZVI, Leica LEI, API DeltaVision, Metamorph STK files, and substantial
acceleration of the data import process.

-- we are releasing another new client of OMERO,  called OMERO.fs.  In
its first release, OMERO.fs is a file notification system-- it can
monitor specified file systems for arriving image files and initiate
import for any new files that appear.  Currently, this uses our
existing import facility-- all data is read into and stored within an
OMERO server.  More sophisticated functionality, including support for
multiple repositories and new modes of data import will come in future
versions.

-- OMERO.insight has been substantially accelerated, includes support
for much more metadata, an improved projection interface, and now
fully integrates OMERO.editor.  OMERO.editor has been substantially
updated as well, to support very unstructured experiments (e.g.,
protocols from existing .doc files).

-- for the first time, OMERO will support deleting of images.  This is
a real "it is truly gone" delete.

As you can imagine, we are now testing Beta4 internally and trying to
identify any bugs.  You can follow our progress at:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/milestone/OMERO-Beta4
http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/milestone/OMERO-Beta4

As we have accelerated and stress-tested OMERO (e.g., working with
1000's of images at once), we have seen some problems.  Most have been
fixed, but one of the most insidious is described at:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/ticket/845

Note that this is all due to fundamental problems in Java, which
affect a number of parts of OMERO.server and OMERO clients.  These
bugs were first reported months ago and Sun seems to think they are
low priority.  We, like others, have spent many hours tracking these
problems, only to track them to Java's underlying libraries.  We are
examining alternative solutions.  This problem appears as "out of
memory" errors in OMERO.insight, especially when viewing large numbers
of images.  We will provide some workarounds in our documentation at
release.

Our current timeline shows us packaging a Beta4 release candidate next
Monday (March 2) for testing.  We'll announce this on these lists.

Thanks to all for your patience and feedback-- we really do value your
comments, and especially any and all constructive criticism.

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street