[ome-devel] Annotation fields

Bernhard Voigt bernhard.voigt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 13:38:46 GMT 2009

Dear developers!

I once asked about annotations that should hold a text value valid at
a certain date. For example an analysis result. As far as I understand
I'd create a TextAnnotation with a specifig namespace to identify my
result annotation and link a TimestampAnnotation to it. If I want to
store a name for the result, I'd also add another TextAnnotation whith
the name as text value. In order to identify the name annotation I'd
give it a namespace qualifier e.g. bernhards.nameannotation. I have
couple of questions to this technique:
1) is this the intentional usage of annotation-annotation-links and
the namespace field
2) for things like names, would it be useful to introduce official
omero namespaces, or add a name annotation type
3) what about performance when the annotation table becomes large
O(10^6) entries? e.g i want to sort result annotations by names, this
would be a join doubling the annotation table with a where clause on
the name space field which is a text field and not indexed.

Thanks for answers! Bernhard