[ome-devel] Some OME-HDF questions

Edwin Bennink edwin at svi.nl
Tue Feb 10 16:07:56 GMT 2009

Dear ome-devel members,

We are planning to create a HDF5 based file format as a replacement for
ICS/IDS, which is the current default format in our Huygens software. We
need to start storing parameters and data related to spherical
aberration together with the images, and we do not think it is a good
idea to extend ICS/IDS or the current OME for this purpose.

As we would like our HDF format to be compatible with (the future)
OME-HDF, I've some questions to the OME developers:

 - How are we going to store multi-dimensional data;
   * as a native HDF multi-dimensional array (in a single dataset, like
OME-XML), or;
   * as lower dimensional datasets within the HDF archive (like the 2D
image planes in OME-TIFF)?

 - How are we going to store the meta-data;
   * as an HDF-clone of the OME-XML standard (using native HDF elements
and attributes; no namespaces), or;
   * as a complete OME-XML meta-data block describing the dataset (like
OME-TIFF)?

To gain some experience with HDF, we'll do a 'general HDF5 reader' with
limited functionality in the coming month.

Regarding the OME files that we export; these have following custom
attributes in ome:Image:
    CA:CustomAttributes
          svi:RefrIndexMed
          svi:PinholeSpacing
          svi:ChannelData
                LogicalChannel
                MicroscopeSpec
                ExPhotonCnt

Best regards,

Edwin Bennink
Developer for Scientific Volume Imaging BV
www.svi.nl