[ome-devel] Metadata editability in OMERO

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Sun Feb 1 20:05:46 GMT 2009

Dear All-

As we move towards release of OMERO-Beta4, we have a number of issues
coming up we'd like feedback on.

The first is metadata editability.  In Beta4, we've gone for something
we call "metadata completion".  This means that, for a given image
file format, we capture and find a home for all of the metadata in
that format which fits into OMERO.  For some formats, that's easy,
because there is so little metadata.  But many are quite rich, and
this project has been a huge effort by the Bio-Formats (Melissa
Linkert) and OMERO (Brian Loranger, Chris Allan, Jean-Marie Burel)
teams.

The result is that we will support 5 rich file formats in Beta4
"completely".  Note that we have to make decision about what each
piece of metadata means-- we certify that it has been imported into
OMERO, although there are a few edge cases where we've had to make
decisions about where each piece of metadata goes.

This raises a critical question, that we have debated within OME for
years (some of you might recall emails on this a few years ago), namely:

What image metadata should be editable? Imagine that some value was
either unset or wrongly set on the microscope, a user may want to
correct the situation after import. Then, if we allow editing, how
much info about that editing should we track?

Some technical points:

-- in OMERO, we store every write to the DB as an Event.  So we know
every change, who did it and when.

-- we really do NOT want to store every metadata change made.  Doing
this properly means making multiple copies of every database entry
every time one thing changes-- so things get bloated very rapidly.

A compromise we are considering seriously-- keep only the last
metadata value, but log all the changes.  If a user has changed any
metadata that came with an image fille, we can add functionality to
the client applications to let the user find this out.  You'll know
that the data has changed, by whom, and when, you just wont know what
the previous data was.

If necessary, we could implement an audit database, which stores
previous metadata versions, or maybe just the first version-- the one
that was acquired with the original .  This would be optional-- if
needed it could be turned on.  We won't get that done for the first
Beta4.0 release, but if it's a priority, it could come later this year.

Thanks for your ideas and comments.

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street