[ome-devel] ScanR importer bit representation

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Wed Dec 16 16:02:17 GMT 2009

Hi Ruben,

> I have one more concern about bioformats, which is again ScanR specific.
> It is great that the importer currently supports different not labelled
> layouts:
*snip*
> There's in fact a third layout (LabTek) which is 12 rows and 32 columns.
> At the moment this layout is importing because the wells are labeled: A1 to L32

I'm not opposed to adding support for 32 x 12 plates; the only issue
is how to detect that the plate is 32 x 12 if the wells are not
labeled.  I haven't been able to find anything in the
experiment_descriptor.xml files (aside from the optional well labels)
that indicates the layout of the plate - are you aware of any other
way to determine the plate dimensions?

If not, then there is no way to differentiate between unlabeled 32 x
12 plates and unlabeled 16 x 24 plates, since the only information we
have is that there are 384 wells.

>  - Would it possible to detect the LabTek layout and apply a different
> naming convention?

The latest trunk build has the naming convention swapped for plates
with more than 26 rows.

>  - In addition would it be possible to give the Spot number (1 - 384) to the
> well name for that particular layout? (something like store.setImageName(new
> String(i), i);)

The latest trunk build includes the spot number in the Image name, so
now you should have names like "Well A1, Field 1 (Spot 1)".  I'd
really prefer not to use the spot number on it's own, but can make
minor adjustments to the name formatting if you would like.

> I think that these are minor changes but I could upload corresponding
> datasets (from LabTeks) under request.

It would really help to have at least two datasets that were acquired
with a LabTek plate - one with labeled wells, and one with unlabeled
wells.

Regards,
-Melissa