[ome-devel] Omero server performance issue

Luca Lianas luca.lianas at crs4.it
Wed Aug 5 15:05:28 BST 2009

I belong to the biomedical reserch group at CRS4, a research centre in
Italy; we are currently using omero in several projects and we are running
some performance tests during these days.
We noticed that the server has low performances when loading a large amount
of data (I tried to load the meta-informations for 50.000 4-channel images).
I did a smaller test loading 1000 images using a python script and it took 1
minute and 42 seconds to load the data (as said before, I only wrote the
meta-data of the images into the database, the real pixels are stored into a
HDFS file system). I used the compiled version of Omero downloaded from the
website and with default configuration. Omero runs on a Linux server (Fedora
core 11) with a dual opteron processor (248 model) and 4GB of RAM.
I'm wondering what is the problem and if there are some hints to improve the
performances on the server. Any help is appreciated.

Please see the script I'm using, as per attachment (maybe is the script
itself my problem).

Thanks for you attention

Luca