[ome-devel] using blitz

Bernhard Voigt bernhard.voigt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 13:22:10 GMT 2008

Dear Josh!

> Good morning, Bernhard. Wish you had better news for us. :)

It's getting (slightly) better now :-)

> Right, there were several issues with the packaging on the Ubuntu
> derivatives prior to 8.10 (intrepid).
>
> http://www.zeroc.com/forums/help-center/3451-problem-installing-icepy-3-2-1-a.html
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/zeroc-ice-python/+bug/213508
>
> which basically required installing from source. If it's possible, you
> might try upgrading.
Well, I am going to update soon, but currently the build from source
seems to be ok. The tests comming with ice-cpp passed all.

> Do you mind telling us how you installed Ice 3.3?

Ice-cpp:
I've installed mcpp from the third party tools archive zeroc provides.
Then I've simple type make in Ice-3.3.0/cpp and make test and sudo
make install. My IceHome path is /opt/Ice-3.3.0

Ice-py:
I've went to Ice-3.3.0/py and type make and make install.

Ice-java (which I didn't know that I don't need it):
I've installed berkeley-db java bindings using apt
I've went to Ice-3/java and typed ant ice-jar and copied Ice.jar to
/usr/share/java/

> You don't need any of the jars since those are present in the
> omero/lib/repository directory. For the build, if you have:
>
> $ slice2py -v
> 3.3.0
> $ slice2java -v
> 3.3.0
>
> then things should completely normally.
That's what I get. I don't have other slice2* from ubuntu packages on
the system, I've removed the zeroc-ice 3.2.1 packages prior installing
3.3.0 from source.

>  > I can work with OmeroPy withouth the need to change the generated
>  > files, but there are still classes missing e.g the
>  > omero.util.ParametersI class is not there.
>
> Are you working from trunk or from Beta3.1? If you are working from
> Beta3.1 then you will need to use the omero.sys.Parameters (no "I")
> object directly. The "util" in the above is a typo that I'll fix in
> the documentation. From trunk, you can see ParametersI in action at:
>
> https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/browser/trunk/components/tools/OmeroPy/test/t_parameters.py

I'm working from Beta3.1. Yes, and Parameters are in omero.sys. How do
I know where to look for the classes? What are the name space
conventions? Is there a standard way to deduce the python class from
java code, if I find ome.parameters.Parameters in the javadocs as a
second parameter to IQuery?

I was now able to do something like this:
2 : import omero
3 : cl = omero.client()
4 : ses = cl.createSession('omero','omero')
5 : q = ses.getQueryService()
6 : omero.sys.Parameters(map={'name': omero.RString('omero')})
7 : omero.sys.Parameters(map={'name': omero.RString('omero')})
8 : param = omero.sys.Parameters(map={'name': omero.RString('omero')})
9 : q.findByQuery('select p from Project p where p.details.owner.name
= :name', param)

What I now get is a java exception:

serverExceptionClass = ome.conditions.ApiUsageException
    message = could not resolve property: name of:
ome.model.meta.Experimenter [select p from
ome.model.containers.Project p where p.details.owner.name = :name];
nested exception is org.hibernate.QueryException: could not resolve
property: name of: ome.model.meta.Experimenter [select p from
ome.model.containers.Project p where p.details.owner.name = :name]

I don't have JBOSS running, but as far as I understood, this is not
necessary anymore for omero-blitz to work, right?

>  > Compilation does not work, too. Attached is the output from java omero
>  > build-blitz, I couldn't figure out what the root cause of the errors
>  > is. What do I have to put in the classpath, e.g Ice.jar and the
>  > "berkeley-db".jar used during Ice.jar compilation... what about all
>  > the jars in the omero/lib/repository folder, I guess the problem I
>  > have are missing libraries in the classpath?!
>
> The problem here also looks like a mismatch between the Ice
> versions. Since the classpath is automatically handled, my guess is
> that slice2java and slice2py still point to 3.2.1 versions. If not,
> let me know and we'll do some more tracking.
I'm pretty sure this is not the case, I get the same version output as
you write above.
Did you check the ant output I've send. For me it seems some classes
cannot be found, I see some ClassNotFoundExcpt. for hibernate classes.

Well, currently there's no need to compile Beta3.1.1 myself it was
just that I though that the binary dist was not complete.

Thanks again! Bernhard