[ome-devel] The Blitz struck on X-Mas

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Tue Dec 30 14:49:36 GMT 2008

Matthias Dunda writes:
 > Hi Josh,
 >
 > > Hmmm... If you got this far, my assumption would be that some
 > > piece of the Ice infrastructure is not installed properly. What
 > > OS are you installing on? Knowing you, probably a Debian, in
 > > which case: what packages do you have installed?

 > You're right about me: I would choose Debian - ALWAYS! But no,
 > currently I am running an OpenSUSE, 64bit. I installed some of the
 > third party RPMs from the ZeroC site and then built the Ice from
 > source - because the RPMs require python 2.4 whereas I can only
 > select 2.5 packages in yast (this outstanding piece of
 > configuration software ;-))) )

Default python versions on the various platforms is certainly going to
be a big issue. Centos5 for example is 2.4. I didn't know OpenSuse was
2.5, but I guess I should have expected it.

 > Oh, BTW: Do you know why the JGOODIES are not provided by ZeroC?
 > Obviously, they are needed by the Ice-Java stuff. So far I just
 > compiled the CPP and PYTHON modules.

No, unfortunately I don't know. I always manually add the Sun JDK on
RPM-based systems. You shouldn't, however, need the Ice java package
itself since we ship the jar file (lib/repository/ice-3.3.jar)

 > > You'll definitely need to have both icegridnode and
 > > glacier2router on your PATH.  > Argghh, yes, the PATH! I forgot
 > > to put Ice on the path! "Man sieht den Wald vor lauten Bäumen
 > > nicht!" - I believe there's a similar proverb in English... :)
 >
 > Sooo, I launched "omero admin start" without errors. Deploy worked as well... I proceed... ;)

Great to hear. Have fun. :)

 > Thanks again!
 > Matthias

~Josh.