[ome-devel] [ome-users] Using 3D JPEG2000 compression in OMERO

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Dec 15 15:57:20 GMT 2008

Dear All-

Thanks for pushing this-- a very interesting set of ideas.  If you
check the notes from last year's OME User's meeting in Paris (http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/news/2008-user-meeting-report
), you'll see that we have been discussing these ideas for some time.
We are continuing to discuss this issue, which invariably ends up
getting into compression, multi-repositories, hierarchical storage, etc.

Just to clarify a few things.

First off, OMERO includes a flexible scripting framework and gateways
for Java C++ and Python, so there are many alternatives for
incorporating your own algorithms-- see http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroScripts
  and http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroJava

In general, the services offered by OMERO are documented at

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/ServerDesign

Second, we are working on access to Bio-Formats from C++-- I'll let
Curtis weigh in there.

Third, you are welcome to add in your own libraries or others as well,
for your own use.  Adding code the OME repository for distribution
means abiding by our licensing policies.  We can discuss this off-
line, as there is nothing really new here-- standard open source
stuff.  But we adhere to the ideals of the GPL license very strongly,
and can not amend that.  Contact me off-list if you want to discuss.

Fourth, delivering tools for HCS is certainly on our target list, but
we can't do this halfway-- we can't deliver an HCS viewer without
great import that supports many thousands of images, heatmaps, full
metadata, etc.  You will see these pieces coming together over the
next series of our releases.

By all means, please use OMERO for whatever purpose you like-- that is
the point.  Understand that it is a developing project-- and we very
much appreciate your help, suggestions, and if at all possible,
contributions.

As always, thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Jason

On 12 Dec 2008, at 16:50, Ghislain Bonamy wrote:

> Frans, Curtis, Prof. Schelkens,
>
> I have added this thread to the Ome-Dev List as it now seems more
> suited. Hopefully I have the right address this time around.
>
> It would indeed wonderful if the 4D JP2000 (ie. XY,C,Z) could be
> implemented into Bioformats. Prof. Schelkens, would you agree to
> provide
> your source code for the OME open source project, or at least allow
> the
> use of the binaries?
>
> Curtis, how would you fell about using some C code as part of
> bioformat?
> I can imagine the problem being having platform specific compilations
> (unless we package many different binaries and use a JNI wrapper to
> call
> the right version).
>
> Unfortunately, I am not well versed in C programming, and never wrote
> any JNI wrappers. Perhaps, someone who shares this interest to provide
> greater image compression could jump and try to implement some hooks
> Prof. Schelkens Codec. In addition if the source code is available,
> perhaps adding also a pure java code could be useful (to mirror the
> JAI
> project).
>
> Best,
>
> Ghislain Bonamy, PhD
> Research Investigator I
>
> Genomic Institute of the
> Novartis Research
> Foundation
> Department of Molecular & Cell Biology, room G214
> 10675 John Jay Hopkins Drive
> San Diego CA 92121
> USA
>
> +1 (858) 812-1534 (W & F)
> +1 (757) 941-4194 (H)
> +1 (858) 354-7388 (M)
> www.gnf.org
>
> Hudson-Alpha Institute for Biotechnology
> www.hudsonalpha.org

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street