[ome-devel] OME new release and templates

Josiah Johnston siah at mac.com
Thu May 17 16:12:51 BST 2007

I changed the directory structure in March in response to a bug
relating to multi-lingual support. The background:

The installer needs to set up one directory tree of templates shipped
with the system, and a mirrored directory tree for local templates.
We were storing both directories in our cvs codebase, and were
supposed to leave the local directory empty. e.g.
	OME/src/html/Templates/Browse, Action, etc were empty directory
trees that the installer copied to /OME/html/Templates/. Installation-
specific templates, such as ones auto-generated for custom
annotations, were stored in these directories.
	OME/src/html/Templates/System/Browse, Action, etc had identical
directory structures and stored template files that shipped with the
codebase.

Duplicate, empty directory structures were unnecessary, confusing,
and were limiting some necessary extensions. I changed things by
merging all cvs code into the system directory, then moving the
system directory to the recently local directory. The installer
copies everything from
	OME/src/html/Templates to /OME/html/Templates/System (or makes a
symbolic link if developer settings are set),
and copies the directory structure only from
	OME/src/html/Templates to /OME/html/Templates/Local

All the Web packages have been updated to deal with these path changes.

I'm sorry I didn't announce the change. I was looking through my old
emails for details, and realized I never posted a message to ome-
devel. I was really busy around that time with trips to California,
presentations, and a visit from my dad. I must have been distracted
and forgot.

Sorry about that.

Anything else I can help you with now that you have my attention?

Still looking for a job? All kinds of openings are coming up; an NIH
screening center just offered me a job working with robots,
informatics, and OME integration. My position is opening up too; I'm
leaving in six weeks to take a vacation before starting grad school.

-josiah