[ome-devel] OME and OMERO: Release of OMERO3.0-Beta2.3

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Dec 20 18:36:39 GMT 2007

Hi-

The OME project is pleased to announce the release of OMERO3.0-
Beta2.3.  OMERO3 is a Java Enterprise application designed for the
management and visualization of digital microscopy data.  OMERO3
includes both server and client applications that install on most
operating systems.  OMERO.server ships with a JBOSS Application
Server, PostgreSQL RDMS, and uses three client applications: Java-
based OMERO.insight and OMERO.importer, and a web browser-based
OMERO.webadmin.

***************************************
Downloads
All OMERO resources are available at the OME software download page:
http://openmicroscopy.org/downloads/

**************************************
Docs and Help
For new initiates, User Guides for OMERO client applications are
included with the client packages.  Do have a look and forward any
questions (see below).  (***NOTE: The User Guides are still for
Beta2.2, Updates are coming***).

Screencast videos showing installation and use are at http://
openmicroscopy.org/howto
(***NOTE:  these movies show the Beta2.2 clients and server.  There
is new functionality, especially in the clients, in Beta-2.3 that is
not yet shown-- we'll make new videos after the holidays. WE NEED A
BREAK BADLY!***)

*************************************
OS X
OMERO.server installation on OS X is by Mac packages and should be
automatic.  There are manual install instructions for Linux and OS X
geeks.  (***NOTE:  Automatic package install on OS X 10.5 Leopard is
not yet supported, but OMERO.server can be installed manually and
run-- thanks to Steve Ogg for help on this).

************************************
OMERO on Windows
We have always released OMERO clients for Windows; we now have tested
OMERO.server on Windows! (Thanks to Carlos Neves for help on this!).
See https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroInstallWindows

************************************
Upgrading the Database
PLEASE NOTE:  Upgrading an OMERO.server  to Beta-2.3 requires an
update of the database.  See http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/
wiki/OmeroUpgrade for more info.

***********************************
OMERO.server Upgrade notification
We've added our first automatic upgrade notification to
OMERO.server.  More details, see http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/
omero/wiki/UpgradeCheck.  (***NOTE: this facility is on by default,
but can be turned off; see the doc for more info).

http://openmicroscopy.org/getting-involved/

We have been using these applications in our lab for the last few
weeks, so hopefully have most of the bugs.  If we've missed anything,
do let us know.

***********************************
Summary

What's New in OMERO3-Beta2.3?

Just a very short summary of what's all detailed at:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/milestone/3.0-Beta2.3

and

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/milestone/3.0-Beta2.3

OMERO.server
-- a series of performance improvements to accelerate image rendering
-- fixed a RE memory leak issue
-- copying rendering settings
-- updates to LDAP support

OMERO.insight
-- user-settable image compression for improving performance at
remote sites with limited bandwidth
-- Conversion of the Category Group/Category system to a Tagging system
-- New search functionality for Tags, Tag Sets, Annotations
-- Smart folders by Date
-- Change location of Prefs/Settings to ~/omero

OMERO.importer
-- Import history
-- UI updates
-- Change location of Prefs/Settings to ~/omero

Happy imaging (and have a great holiday!)

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street