[ome-devel] DBD::Pg and OME

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Sun May 28 14:27:23 BST 2006

Hi folks,

For those who have been following the "Cvs Install broken" thread and
those who will/may already be having problems with the DBD::Pg
module: I strongly suggest that you not use anything >1.41. Version
1.48 and 1.49 seem to have huge memory leaks that make large imports
(>2500 images) impossible on a 32-bit machine and will most likely
corrupt your database. 3GB postmaster processes are not your friend,
even with PostgreSQL 8.1.

In addition, versions 1.44 and 1.45 in particular will not work with
OME's dollar-sign placeholder usage (supposedly fixed in version 1.46
and further in 1.47). I can't remember whether 1.42 and 1.43 have
this problem as well as I haven't tested them directly recently.

I am planning to make contact with the DBD::Pg developer on the
memory leak issues so that we can at least get a recent, stable and
security problem free version of DBD::Pg working with OME but I can't
make any promises when I'll be able to.

Ciao.

-Chris