[ome-devel] firefox 1.5 upgrade breaks viewer

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Tue Jan 17 07:51:57 GMT 2006

Hi Kris-

Sorry-- I have been discussing this with Ilya, and delayed submitting
a bug til I understood it fuller, and had a few different OS's
tested.  Bottom line is the FF 1.5's support for SVG is insufficient
for our SVG Viewer.  What is more insidious is how to solve this.  It
seems the Adobe SVG Installer doesn't recognise an installed FF 1.5.
I have also tried to manually install SVG 6.0 into FF 1.5 under
Windows XP-- this leads to pretty disastrous results.  You can look
around-- there are  various not-so-kind comments on SVG 6.0, FF 1.5,
etc.  Whose "fault" this is isn't yet clear to me.

Due to time constraints, I have not yet manually installed SVG 3.0
(nominally, the supported release) into FF 1.5 under the various
OS's.  We are still trying to determine to what extent FF 1.5's SVG
support "takes over" and just ignores Adobe's reader, and what our
response will be.  Pretty frustrating, actually.

Cheers,

Jason

On 17 Jan 2006, at 02:03, kris wrote:

> After upgrading, I can no longer see any images
> in the SVGViewer.   The javascript console window
> is reporting the svgDocument is missing.
> This link appears to confirm that this is not supported
> in firefox 1.5:
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG:Scripting
>

> However, I am unclear on the fix presented there.
> Anybody know what "name_of_svg" would be in this case?
>
> Sorry I am not familiar with SVG nor javascript, it seems
> simple enough, but ...
>
> Thanks for any pointers,
> kris
>
> --