[ome-devel] More details on "Locked" attribute please?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Dec 4 22:35:54 GMT 2006

Hi Isaak,

> What about the case of multiple file distribution (at least for OME-TIFF, I
> can't remember if OME-XML talks about this)?
> What if several files reference the same dataset, (or even the same pixel
> set), but later (whether a few hours, or a few days, or years) after they
> are generated, another user opens only one or some of them, and sets the
> locked attribute.
> Say this file gets submitted to a database with Locked = TRUE before the
> other files of the same dataset (in separate actions) with Locked = FALSE?
> Is there any rule or tool or convention or general practice to prevent that
> situation, or to deal with it when it arises?

For OME-XML, each entity is in one master file. As far as I know there
is no facility to split the document across multiple files.

In the case of a collection of OME-TIFF files describing a single
OME-XML entity, it is the responsibility of the application to keep
the files' OME-XML blocks synchronized with one another. If they get
skewed in any way (other than differing TiffData elements to indicate
which IFDs corresponding to which image planes), the behavior of
OME-TIFF readers is undefined. In that case, my suggestion would be to
use whatever is present in the "first" -- lowest numbered,
lexicographically first, etc. -- TIFF, and ignore the rest.

-Curtis