[ome-devel] Have you written some OME STs, would you like to keep using them?

Tom Macura tm289 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 25 23:00:22 BST 2006

Hello,

If you've written Semantic Type Definitions and are using them with
your OME installation you need to be aware that we are planning (post
the 2.6.0 release) to make major changes to the underlying OME Data
Model.

PLEASE get in touch if you have any  questions or if you think these
changes might affect you.

Firstly, we will enforce the new requirement of "one ST per table,
one table per ST". In the past (i.e. now), a semantic type's semantic
elements could be distributed in multiple database tables (e.g. like
in the example below, tables ST_TEST_A and ST_TEST_B). Secondly the
DBLocation will be optional (if you don't specify it, OME will give a
default  DBLocation).

So if you used to have an ST like so:
		<SemanticType Name="FirstST" AppliesTo="G">
			<Element
				Name="ABC"
				DBLocation="ST_TEST_A.ABC"
				DataType="string"/>
			<Element
				Name="DEF"
				DBLocation="ST_TEST_B.DEF"
				DataType="integer"/>
		</SemanticType>

Now you'd use:
		<SemanticType Name="FirstST" AppliesTo="G">
			<Element
				Name="ABC"
				DataType="string"/>
			<Element
				Name="DEF"
				DataType="integer"/>
		</SemanticType>

Do you have STs that break the new rule? We'll help you with the
migration, but please let us know.

Sorry for all the pain involved on all sides but ultimately this
change will expand OME's data-modeling capabilities by allowing
multiple outputs of a particular Semantic Type in Modules.

Best,

Tom