[ome-devel] OME install woes

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Tue Apr 11 18:47:34 BST 2006

Hello August
Several of the problems you reported have been fixed in CVS.  I think
you may have an easier time of it if you install from CVS:

$ cvs -d ':pserver:anoncvs at cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk:/ome' login
(Enter "anoncvs" for the password)
$ cvs -z3 -d ':pserver:anoncvs at cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk:/ome'
checkout OME

Sadly, and despite many efforts, we have once again arrived at a
state where a great deal of installation (and other) problems have
been fixed, but a new stable release has not been made.  The "release
early, release often" mantra has somehow gotten lost on us.

We have deeply religious views about not breaking the code on CVS
(especially in HEAD), and generally if anyone does so, they are
beaten soundly and severely.  Most of us use code from CVS in our
daily work, so any problems are quickly noticed and fixed.
We've been talking about a release for a while now, and obviously it
has not happened.  Maybe one way to do this is to simply release on a
monthly schedule regardless of what happens.  We have enough of a
testing framework to do nightly tests and report the results on our
web-site.  If more tests are needed to call something a "release",
then we should list them (preferably in the form of an automated
script), and go from there.  This type of release lag may be
acceptable for commercial software, but it is totally out of the norm
for OSS - especially for a project as active as this one.

Apologies for any misunderstandings or duplicate effort.
-Ilya