[ome-devel] OME install woes: upload file through omeis

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Sat Apr 8 13:08:40 BST 2006

The XML files imported during installation establish OME's semantics
(i.e. its loading all of its data models), which may or may not
result in the creation of DB tables to accommodate them (the first
install will always create tables).

Because OME insists on knowing the origin of all things, this poses a
significant chicken-egg problem during installation, so I don't think
the bootstrapping phase can be done manually.  All the XML after the
bootstrap could in principle be installed manually.  It would have to
be done in the proper order though, or everything would have to be
dumped into a single huge XML file.

Your error occurred in the bootstrap phase, but on the third file,
having successfully uploaded the first two. Did you see it report the
successful completion of the first two files (InstallationModule.ome
and Experimenter.ome)?
This is very strange.  As though /home/swaroop/OME/src/xml/OME/Core/
OMEIS/Repository.ome really was corrupt or something.  Or the
transfer was interrupted for some other reason.  "500 EOF when chunk
header expected" is not an error generated by OME - it originates
from one of the HTTP protocol handlers, which makes me think this is
a pretty low-level problem.  The local XML files are transfered to
OMEIS using the HTTP protocol.  This is the case even when everything
is local.

Can you try again from a fresh CVS checkout?

Regarding re-thinking the installation process, one way to rethink it
is how this is managed by the OS X installer (which is GUI-based).
Essentially, the GUI fills out the install environment object, which
can be edited and processed in a text version (see examples in /doc/
install-configs/).  Once this is all filled out and all the Perl and
C dependencies are installed and Apache, mod_perl, and Postgres are
all checked and rechecked, the OME installer is launched in non-
interactive mode (install.pl -y -f envFile).
-Ilya