[ome-devel] OME Installer for OS X

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Tue Sep 20 17:45:54 BST 2005

Hello all

Installing OME is a well-known impediment to its use.  To improve the
installation process, I've written an "installation wizard" that uses a
graphical user interface to guide the user through discovering software
dependencies and performing the OME installation without having to type
commands at the terminal.  This initial installer is for OS X (10.3 and
10.4) because this OS is readily at hand, and makes for a good "fixed
target".  It is expected that "Wizards" for other well-defined
platforms (RedHat, Debian, Suse, etc) will become available later on.
It appears some people have had success getting OME to run on VMware,
so a Windows installer is even possible - probably as a derivative of
one of the Linuxes.

The installer figures out various parameters about your system, and
includes all the software OME depends on to run starting from a
factory-installed OS.  Its not really recommended for developers - its
designed for end-user biologists - but it will try not to do the "wrong
thing" when installing on a developer's machine.  The OME code-base
that it will install is a recent CVS checkout:  Currently, this
installer will not install a stable released version (2.4.0)!  The only
external software it depends on is the optional "BSD subsystem" and
"Developer Tools" installations available on all OS X system disks.  It
will perform a check and inform the user if these need to be installed.

I would greatly appreciate if people were to try it out and provide
feedback about its success, failure, and appropriateness.  Needless to
say, please don't use this in a deployed environment - strictly for
experimenting and trying things out.  Several developers and "end
users" have tried it already, but we need a broader audience to
exercise it.  The disk-image includes the source code for the installer
as an XCode project (Applescript Studio).  Obviously, any patches or
improvements would be most welcome.

http://users.openmicroscopy.org.uk/~igg/OME-Installer.dmg

Enjoy!
Ilya