[ome-devel] Re: [ome-users] Re: Metamorph

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Oct 6 14:42:12 BST 2005

OK, this makes sense.
Looking at some STKs that I have, there is indeed wavelength
information stored within the file (in addition to the filename), but
it appears that its not always valid (sometimes its the emission
wavelength, sometimes its all zeros).
Basically the importer will be able to handle both cases (multi-wave in
single STK, or multi-wave in multiple STKs).  It will be able to store
the human-readable fluor that follows the _wnnnFLUOR pattern, and it
will look inside the file for a valid emission wavelength.  What it
wont be able to deal with is a case where there are multiple
wavelengths specified inside the file, as well as wavelengths specified
in the filename.  Basically because the filename is limited to a single
wavelength, and you can't determine which of the wavelengths within the
file correspond to the wavelength specified in the filename.  I'm not
sure such a case can even be rescued because there is no basis to
decide which of the conflicting information is correct.  Hopefully such
cases don't actually exist.  If wavelengths as well as timepoints are
always in separate files, and the STK is only used for multiple Zs,
then this will just work transparently.

Unfortunately, I'm totally tied up right now and can't put any effort
into this for at least a week.  But at least its clear what's needed
now, and its not even very difficult.  Basically the logic from the
multi-file importers (HTD, TIFF, pic, etc) needs to be merged with the
STK importer.  Its a well established pattern that we've followed
before, and STK doesn't present any significant deviations from it.

Thanks for your help looking into this.
-Ilya