[ome-devel] OME User's Meeting

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Sun Nov 6 22:32:21 GMT 2005

Hello All-

I am writing to you on behalf of the OME group at the University of
Dundee.  Many of you have devoted your own resources to working with
OME software and are seriously working on the image data management
question from various angles.  As part of our efforts to develop a
community of people devoted to solving this problem, we are going to
have two  meetings of OME users and developers.  One will be held to
coincide with the San Francisco ASCB meeting in December  2005 (more
about that in a separate email, but most likely Dec 11, 7:30 -
10pm).  However, we would also like to hold a meeting to support our
community in Europe.  We want to hold this in Dundee,  Dec 1-2, 2005.

The goals of the meeting are to enumerate:

-- what the OME project is
-- what the released software is all about
-- where the project is going.

This last point is the most important, so we need to hear from you
about what you want and need to support your own image informatics
efforts.  As you might imagine, there is lots going on in and we are
working hard to improve the way our system installs and works.  Many
of you are devoting your own resources to the project, so this will
be a chance to synchronise efforts and to better define and
communicate the various ongoing and upcoming activities.  We will
focus the meeting on OME, but we are also happy to include
presentations from any of you who are working on image informatics
solutions and want to share your thoughts or work.

We very much want to hear from you about what you need as developers/
major users.  While we believe we have some idea of the requirements
of the system, we need to know what we need to do to improve the
tools we provide.  We also want to hear what we can do to improve the
way we work with the community.

We are still drafting the program, but we expect one day about OME
and any other existing solutions is, and one day focussed on what OME
should be.

Sadly, we have no resources to pay your travel or other costs (we are
trying to get more funding, but no promises).  We will provide
transport from Edinburgh airport (for those of you flying in) and
lunches on both days.  The meeting will be free.

We will provide info on hotels etc in the next couple of days.  Also,
announcement for the ASCB OME Meeting will follow shortly.

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
MSI/WTB Complex