[ome-devel] New Branch for DB Updates

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Mon May 16 17:07:12 BST 2005

Hi all
Some of you monitoring the CVS RSS feed may have noticed that I started
a branch (OME_2_4_1_DB_UPDATES) to deal with DB updates that have been
on deck for a while.  As mentioned before, the proposed updates were
these:

1. Change CONFIGURATION.VALUE to type text (bug 460).
2. Change ST FilenamePattern.Basename to text to allow storing comma
separated values rather than integer (to get the full basename from
several RE 'parts').  Requested by Nico Stuurman to support his
filename naming scheme from a Beckman screening scope (Bug 484)
3. Add group owner to MODULE_EXECUTIONS, fix bug 469 (attribute
ownership inherits from MEX)
4. Not NULL constraint on attribute's MEX column (bug 485).
5. Not NULL constraint on MEX experimenter column (bug 468).
6. ST foreign key constraints for references (PKs already declared)
(Bug 486).
7. ST constraints (not NULL, specifically) (Bug 393)
8. Normalize "Plane" and "Stack" STs (i.e. finalize data model).  Use a
reference to it for PlaneStatistics.  Do the same for "Stack" ST.  When
this is done, convert plane/stack stats to class-per-table.  Clean up
back-end code that deals with non-class-per-table.  Consider
eliminating table/column specification from STs by adopting a
table/column naming convention.
9. USER_STATE => key-value (like CONFIGURATION).  New table with
session_id referring to OME_SESSIONS?  If so, remove extra columns from
OME_SESSIONS.

The branch (OME_2_4_1_DB_UPDATES) implements the first five of these.
Please indicate wether there is interest in implementing the rest.  I'm
pretty sure that I will at least implement #6 (Bug 486).  The update
scripts in this branch will update a 2.2.0 and 2.4.0 DB to version
2.16.

There was a proposal for plate/well/screen modifications.  Any chance
that this can be distilled to a series of table/column modifications or
at the very least, ST declarations in XML?  These can be placed right
in the OME_2_4_1_DB_UPDATES branch.

To checkout the branch (its the entire OME CVS module),
cvs co -r OME_2_4_1_DB_UPDATES OME

It would be ideal if we could re-merge this branch with HEAD as soon as
possible.

-Ilya