[ome-devel] Preferred platform for OME?

Graham Klyne Graham.Klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 11:10:05 GMT 2005

We're looking to make a decision about which is the "best" (== most
compatible, stable, secure) Linux platform to run OME for live use.

So far, I've completed a trial installation on Fedora (FC2), but I'm told
that this doesn't get security fixes beyond about 6 months.  Currently,
we're thinking of using "Scientific Linux" for the live system.  We are
intending that OME will be running on a dedicated machine with a RAID array
for the image and database storage.  As this system will be the primary
repository for  large amounts of hard-won experimental data, reliability is
a key goal.

Does anyone have any specific experience and/or recommendations?

#g

---
Graham Klyne
Image Bioinformatics Laboratory
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford
South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
E-mail: <Graham.Klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk>
Direct phone: +44-(0)1865-281991
Departmental fax: +44-(0)1865-310447