[ome-devel] Metadata Questions

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Wed Feb 23 12:12:57 GMT 2005

Hello-

We are trying to get the use of metadata and the OME schema fleshed
out.  But there seem to be some burning questions that need to be
resolved first, at many levels.  In the not too distant future, we will
want to fuse the OME Data Models with schemas/ontologies from other
groups (MGED, GO, etc).  Having all these models is great, but it is
very important to decide what must be filled out, and what to do when
specific information is not provided.  MIAME is a great attempt at this
in the microarray field.

In that spirit, we'd like to address some questions to the imaging
field.  The following questions can be copied to other listserv's and
synopses of answer(s) fed back here.

1) What is the minimal set of metadata we need to record about an image?

2) What actions do we take if an incoming file does not provide some of
this metadata?  Do we use defaults, or do we force the user to give us
the data?

3) Is/are there global minimal set(s), or do we leave to a local
installation, providing them with the tools to define a local "minimal
set" dependent on their needs.  How important will data sharing be?

4) Once this metadata is stored, what do we allow users to change?  If
data was incorrectly entered, either into the acquisiton system or a
data capture tool, is it OK for user to change?  Do we track these
changes.

Thoughts?  For those of you who would prefer your responses to be
private, emails sent directly to me will be kept confidential.  If
permitted, their salient points will be summarized without
identification.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk