[ome-devel] Opinions on Java 5

Harry Hochheiser hsh at nih.gov
Thu Aug 18 14:18:26 BST 2005

Josh, Chris, Erik, et al:

As another big Java user, I must admit to being somewhat agnostic on
the question of which Java version. It sounds like the reasons for
moving to java 5 are not show-stoppers - we could live without that
functionality if we had to.   On the other hand, the obstacles to Java
5 are not huge: relative to the ongoing indignities of software
upgrades and maintenance, asking Java and OS X Tiger users to upgrade
to Java 5 is probably not such a huge deal.

Given the problems that folks have been having lately with installs on
Fedora and Debian, I do think the crucial issue is that we must make it
crystal clear to users exactly what the constraints and requirements
are.

-harry