[ome-devel] Opinions on Java 5

Erik Brauner erik_brauner at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 18 13:08:23 BST 2005

Josh, could you elucidate the difficulties with OS X 10.4 please.

We are in the process of upgrading to Tiger partially because of the
Java 1.5/Tomcat 5 incompatibility so I'm curious.
Assuming that OS X development isn't an issue, then I personally
wouldn't have  a problem with using Java 1.5.
I think they did a great job of choosing new features (the new looping
syntax is worth the price of admission IMHO).
The big catch is we would probably want to avoid 1.5 dependencies in
anything that might end up client side as I don't
see browser support coming too quickly.

-Erik