[ome-devel] OME install problems with fedora core 2

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Sep 23 05:40:06 BST 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 7:36 PM, Mark Roden wrote:

> Hi Ilya (et al),
> <error>
> CREATION OF USER ome FAILED -- OUTPUT:
> createuser: could not connect to database template1: FATAL:
> user "postgres" does not exist
> </error>
> When I go to adduser postgres, the system informs me that user
> postgres already exists.  What should I do?

This is very very odd.  Most RedHat installs I've seen already come
with postgres (but its been a while).
And you say you can run the postgres executables as a regular user
without problems?  What DB do you connect to when your run psql?
In any case, the error message could be misleading here if you don't in
fact have the postgres server running.  Make sure its turned on in your
"services".
initdb initializes the RDBMS, which you don't what to do on reboot.
What does this say?
ps aux | grep post
This should tell you if the postmaster process is running.

Let's take the rest of this off-list to keep the traffic down, OK?
I'm CC'ing Chris because he's a better Linux wrangler than I am.
-I