[ome-devel] Remote API update question

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Sep 23 05:14:40 BST 2004

Hi Zach
On Sep 22, 2004, at 5:53 PM, Zachary Pincus wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got a few minor questions about how updating objects with the
> remote framework works.
>
> Specifically, when you pack up a DTO for update over the wire, there
> appear to be two ways to specify objects to which that DTO refers.
>
> Say we've got pulled a DTO from over the network for a Feature that
> looks like so:
>
> {
>   'image': {'id': 2},
>   'tag': 'CELL',
>   'id': 78
> }
>
> Now say we want to change the image to which feature 78 refers to
> image 1.

Can't really do that.
There are two object hierarchies in play here.  One is the "core"
hierarchy of Project->Dataset->Image->Feature, the other is the
vagaries of STs.  Im including STs as an object hierarchy because much
to our surprise (!) they seem to support a fairly complete inheritance
model (though some might argue), and we're working on the syntactic
sugar to make it palpable.  A very important aspect of the STs is where
they belong in this core hierarchy.  None of the objects in the core
hierarchy are STs, they can only act as containers for STs.  Perhaps
its a weakness of the datamodel, but that's how it is for now.  In the
future, its possible to think of a scenario where the "core" hierarchy
is represented as STs as well, but that's not how things are now.
There are numerous complications that arise from this, as you can
probably imagine.

An ST (by its declaration) can belong to a Dataset, Image or Feature,
or it can be Global - that's the granularity of the ST.  You can't
switch the container that the ST instance belongs to, nor can you
switch its granularity.  Basically once you have an instance of an ST,
you are locked into its container instance.  You can change its
contents only as long as it has no assigned MEX.  Once it has a MEX its
immutable.  This is why we refer to instances of an ST as attributes -
they are attributes of the container they belong to.  Some containers,
like features, are described only by their attributes - they are
abstract.  It is sometimes useful to also think of features as image
attributes, because unlike the other levels of the core hierarchy,
images and features are limited to a one-to-many relationship.  This is
the same pattern as the container-attribute relationship - one to many.

Some of this is hard to enforce in OO-space, and there has been some
thought to enforcing it at the DB layer (with triggers, for example).
So far we've counted on "good behavior" in applications to keep this
aspect of the datamodel consistent.

If you think about what you're proposing actually means physically, its
an impossibility.  You're saying I found this blob in Image 1, and it
has all these attributes.  Now, I'm going to take this very same blob
along with all of its attributes and assign it to Image 2.  It just
doesn't make sense in terms of the physical reality this represents.

Unless of course, I completely missed your point.

-Ilya