[ome-devel] A few questions about documentation

Douglas Creager dcreager at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 22 16:40:26 BST 2004

>> What's the status of the Javadocs?
>> (http://www.openmicroscopy.org/api/java)
>
> These will be released just after our release of Shoola2.2.1, by Oct 7.

It's also easy to roll your own with both of the Java CVS trees
(OME-JAVA and Shoola), since we include an "apidocs" target in our ant
build files.  So running "ant apidocs" will generate the Javadocs
locally.  I'd say that probably 75% of the classes are nicely Javadoced
currently.  (The most important 75%, of course :) .)

For instance, I've got the web server on my workstation pointing into
my build directories,

http://sorger-g51.mit.edu:8009/ome-java/
http://sorger-g51.mit.edu:8009/shoola/

so that I have access to the docs for my most-recently-build Java code.
  Anyone else can feel free to use that as a reference, too, but I
didn't publish that onto the website because the links and contents
might be in flux anytime I'm doing active development on the Java bits.

>> ..of the "Defining new Semantic Types" how-to?

Do you mean "what makes a new semantic type useful" or "I know what
types I want, how do I get that into the system"?

>> check http://www.openmicroscopy.org.uk/remote/
>
> I was wrong.  That still has a way to go to completion.  Again, is
> coming.  If anybody needs it RIGHT NOW, give us a shout.

It's actually pretty fleshed out, I think, and lives at
http://www.openmicroscopy.org.uk/api/remote/ .  And there's a skeleton
for the remote method reference at
http://www.openmicroscopy.org.uk/api/remote/ref/ .  Currently only the
administrative methods are filled in there.

>> (Which brings up one more question: what's the status of the wiki?
>> Are there things out of date? Is there an overarching organizatinal
>> plan (*tee hee*)? )

We have a basic rule-of-thumb plan as far as how the Wiki relates to
the website.  The Wiki is *supposed* to be more up-to-date than the
Website; active development on design specs, status reports, etc. is
supposed to take place on the Wiki.  Then, as designs stabilize, more
polished documentation is supposed to be put on the website for public
consumption.  How well we've been following this plan is unclear. :)

--doug

Douglas Creager <dcreager at alum.mit.edu>
Visiting Scholar, MIT Dept. of Biology
77 Mass Ave, Rm 68-371, Cambridge MA 02139
M: +1 617/501-8340
W: +1 617/452-2955