[ome-devel] Question about the new OME::Remote API

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 30 23:47:50 BST 2004

Hello,

So my project to get a simple C library together for interacting with
the OME remote framework is grinding forward. I've got a couple
questions about the API that I can't really seem to fully puzzle out
from the Java and Perl client/server code. If anyone could help get me
squared away, I would much appreciate it.

Specifically, I'm wondering about the "fields_wanted" parameter of some
of the generic object loading methods in GenericFacade.

This param needs to be sent over the wire as a hash with some special
syntax, which is then reformatted by "__massageFieldsWanted" in
GenericAssembler, and the further passed around in the DTO code. My
questions are:

(1) What is this syntax? (And why must it be massaged later down the
line?) It's a little hard to intuit from the code.
(2) Is there any syntax for "get me all the fields" a la "select * from
..."

Possibly a little more generally, a bit of guidance on the care and
feeding of the DTOs in general would be most helpful. (e.g., are there
any non-obvious expectations/assumptions that the remote API makes
about outgoing/incoming DTOs?)

Thanks for any help,

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine