[ome-devel] Import/Export

Claude Bonnard cbonnard at isrec-sg1.unil.ch
Thu Jul 22 13:32:42 BST 2004

Hello,

This is very nice to be able to have a first look at data in the system! I
continued to do some simple (end-user) tests, and here are my comments and
questions regarding the present situation.

Import&Export

As mentionned in previsous messages, The import is so far seriously
limited to (so far in my tests) STK and OME's tiff test file.
Probably, the ome format (from Bitplane) should work.
"regular tiff" (I mean what people produce every day) as well as  LSM,
or zvi files were not imported

Export:

In the  Image Detail page, this is not obvious that the link to the original
file will start the export of the image. The feature is very nice but this was
 a surprise at first. Suggestion: the filename in black and a (download)
representing the "action" link.

A browser problem? Downloads of small files (such as n2_plate_P24_w1.tif )
is OK: the download is fast. But the download of average file (a 18MB stk)
 hanged after a moment, leaving an incomplete 1.1 mb file. Maybe my client's
configuration? I user Safari 1.0 (ver85.7). The behaviour is not the same
when exporting a file in OME via Home ->XML -> Export Image(s). In this page,
the export takes a long time and is successful in Explorer (on a PC) but not
 on Safari (on a Mac). Is it a timeout which should be changed? Any advice
 from Mac users would be good!

Exporting several files (but not the total collection of the dataset
(via Home ->XML -> Export Image(s)) gave a single file, with a name
taken apparently from the dataset name (I choose to export from
"new_dataset" dataset and the file saved on my local PC was
"new_dataset.ome").

-> Exporting a single data file gave a file with a strange name:
the image(stack)was: Bla81.STK and the exported file Bla81[1].STK.ome
-> Is there a reason for the "[1]"

->re-importing of this files (the exported ome) was a failure, leading
to a very rich log of reading the file, checking for duplicate ,
terminating by a "successful import of 0 file". OK, there is a duplicate
in the database, since those files came from it. Surprising: the dataset
I have selected was another one. Should I expect this type of response?

-> Removal of data? Is there a (web) way to delete a dataset, images in
a dataset by any method? I  have notice the message "Sorry: Function
un-implemented", but I am surprised that it is not possible to save the
same image in another dataset.

Probably some of my questions are already solved for next release.. Which ?

With my best regards,

Claude

--
Claude Bonnard Ph.D.
ISREC (Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research)