[ome-devel] C/C++ client library for OME::Remote

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 19 19:26:39 BST 2004

Harry,

Thanks for the feedback. To answer your questions:
I've been mainly looking at the code under org.openmicroscopy.remote,
as per the newbie's guide on the docs site. I wasn't actually aware
that this was deprecated.

Anyhow, my intention all along had been to use the OME XML-RPC API from
some client program I'm developing (a mixture of Python, C++, and
chewing gum). Looking over what documentation I could find, and at the
code under org.openmicroscopy.remote, it appeared that there was some
non-trivial amount of logic present in the Java OME XML-RPC client
library, and that to profitably use the XML-RPC API from a different
language/environment, I would need to replicate some of that logic.

This lead me to thinking that maybe it would be worthwhile to implement
that logic in a C or C++ library, such that anyone, from any language
that has C/C++ bindings (pretty much everything...), could make use of
that library. (As long as I was going to be doing some of that work
anyway, it would be nice to make something that would be useful to
others.) I mentioned this on the OME list a week or so ago, and the
idea met with some enthusiasm.

Now, there are a lot of potential reasons I should stay away from such
a project. Perhaps (a) there really doesn't need to be that much
client-side logic to use OME's XML-RPC API, or (b) that API is still
changing too fast, or (c) such an endeavor would be too much for one
grad student at partial effort, or (d) a lot more logic will be built
in server-side, a la Chris's desires, or (e) any number of things.

Unfortunately, I really don't know much about where OME is going, etc,
given that my main exposure to it has been talking with Ilya and Jason
at a conference, some emails from them, and the docs and wiki web site
(plus the codebase itself). That's why I've been trying to solicit some
advice from those who know more than I about the advisability of this
project, and on the best ways to approach it, if it would be a useful
addition.

Any thoughts you have on the matter would be most appreciated,

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine