[ome-devel] C/C++ client library for OME::Remote

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Mon Jul 19 18:12:26 BST 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:21:59PM -0400, Harry Hochheiser wrote:

> Chris:
>
> yes, I know we're not currently using SOAP,  but the point is that we
> could if we wanted to. In theory, we should just be able to swap around
> a couple of libraries (some on the client and some on the server). If
> there was enough value to be gained, this would be worth considering,
> right? Or is there some inherent objection to even considering SOAP?

We went down this road before with the first incarnation of the remote
framework. It even worked simultaneously with SOAP and XML-RPC as a
matter of fact. I fail to see what SOAP buys us other than service
advertisment and automatic stub generation for our particular
application. A migration to SOAP along the WSDL/UDDI lines would not
just be a "swap around a couple of libraries" it would be a significant
extension.

> -harry
>

> On Jul 19, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Chris Allan wrote:
> >Yes, yes and yes. All fine and dandy if you're using SOAP. I'm fully
> >aware of all of the above in terms of what most web services
> >integrators
> >like to call "fair play." However, as I said we are not using SOAP and
> >are not likely, unless you're volunteering and would think it of great
> >benefit, to migrate the entire remote framework and Java client library
> >to SOAP.
> >
> >The grid computing world, ah yes, with the largest project re-writing
> >its entire implementation twice and planning to do it again, I don't
> >think we're likely to jump on that boat. Not to mention they've got
> >their own extensions to SOAP to make it "secure."

-Chris