[ome-devel] C/C++ client library for OME::Remote

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 13 22:29:09 BST 2004

Hmm, I seem to have touched on something here. Seems such a library
could be useful.

As one grad student, I can't do a whole lot big-picture-wise, but I am
still interested in working on a C/C++ XML-RPC client implementation.

If I could solicit some advice to get started:
(1) Should I start out by simply aping the Java client library, or
would there be a better approach? (Start by producing a WSDL and
implement a client compliant with that?) Realistically, the only thing
I can do alone is to replicate what the Java can do. If others want to
help, the scope could be expanded...
(2) How much of a moving target are these APIs, etc? Should I hold off
for a while before trying to write a portable client library?
(3a) How do people feel about JNI? Sure, writing a C interface that
calls the Java on the back-end, and is called by Perl/Python/&c. on the
front end is a huge and ridiculous hack, but it might be quicker and at
least the client codebase is unified...
(3b) Would C be substantially better than C++, language-binding-wise?
(SWIG does fine with clean C++, but I'm not sure about bindings to C#,
or anything else not covered by SWIG. Plus it's hard to call C++ from
C, but that's probably not a huge problem, is it?)

Any thoughts, advice, et al. would be appreciated,

Zach