[ome-devel] Configurations, admin interface

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Tue Jul 13 15:07:18 BST 2004

On Jul 13, 2004, at 11:46 AM, Claude Bonnard wrote:

> Hello,
> After some difficulties (which are not yet completely solved), the
> package
> looks like -at least - starting: it is possible to access to the main
> page.
Sorry about any continuing problems.  If you give me details, I can
help you off-list.

> The administrator user can login, and can create a project adn a
> dataset.
> That's fine! But operation such as uploading images goes to permission
> problem,
> as shown on the (pdf) snapshot included. (if unreadable, the server's
> reply to
> the request is 'permission denied for /home/cbonnard' wihch was
> defined as
> "Default data directory" during the install...).
The released installer doesn't check if the Apache process can access
the Data Directory you specified.  The current installer does a check
for this and warns you if Apache can't read the specified directory.
If you opted out of making cbonnard a unix admin for OME, then the
installer didn't add cbonnard to the ome group.  You can change the
group ownership of everything in /home/cbonnard to 'ome' and add
cbonnard to the ome group, or you can give global read permissions to
/home/cbonnard.  Or, you can put your images in a separate directory
altogether (and use that as your Data Directory) with a symbolic link
to it from a directory in your home folder.

> Does someone have an idea of the configuration files, on their
> administration?
>  Certainly yes, but where could I find this information?
This needs documentation.  There are scripts in the release (in
src/SQL) called addOMEuser.pl and addOMEgroup.pl.

> This should be useful: Is there, like in SIDB, some administration
> interfaces,
> allowing basic things such as the creation of a user, the tuning of the
> authorization parameters ?
Unfortunately, no.  Administration stuff is currently done on the
command-line.  We haven't had time (or resources) to build admin
interfaces.  We're ever hopeful that someone will build such things for
all to benefit.  Maybe even sell them.  We would gladly buy them!

-Ilya