[ome-devel] Simple questions about files versus pixels

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 10 01:45:47 GMT 2004

Hello everyone,

I've got a couple simple questions about OME and how it deals with
images as files versus as pixels.

First, is there any way to determine the original file a Pixels object
or Image object came from? I see the OriginalFile STs in OME, but there
doesn't seem to be a way to link those to anything else.

Next, is there a "right" way to import pixels (without associated
files) into OME? That is, say one wants to stream raw pixels over a
network to OMEIS, and then call OME's import routines on those pixels.
All of the import methods I see in the API appear to take an OMEIS
FileID, not a PixelsID.

Clearly, one could simply create a Pixels and Image object in OME and
hook them together, adding the PixelsID from OMEIS, but then there
wouldn't be a really useful MEX record associated with that "import,"
right?

Thanks,

Zach Pincus