[ome-devel] Query semantically typed objects for has-many relations?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 6 09:33:09 GMT 2004

Hello folks,

If I may ask a (possibly uninformed) question, I'd like to know whether
it is possible to query semantically-typed objects to find out their
has-many relations.

I ask because calling $object->getHasMany() on any semantically-typed
object never seems to return anything, whereas calling the same on a
base data object works as advertised.

The core types have their has-many fields clearly defined with
__PACKAGE__->hasMany(...) style calls. Is there a similar "call" in the
OME XML to alert OME to the fact that a semantically-typed object
participates in a has-many relation? Or does/should OME automatically
detect this on loading a new semantic type?

This is all apropos of working with the remote framework. I can't get
the remote framework to return the has-many fields for
semantically-typed data objects, even though the java client and the
omejava code creation tool implicitly presume this ability. (Leading to
several bugs with the java remote framework which I have reported on
the bugtracker.) That is (for example), it's easy to get the remote
framework to package Image objects with a list of all associated Pixels
objects -- Images are a base type, and support getting lists of
has-many attributes. However, retrieving a Group object packaged with
all the appropriate Experimenters doesn't appear to be possible (even
though the Java client code claims to support this).

(One last question: are the java client library and the OME::Remote
framework still under active development?)

Thanks,

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine