[ome-users] OMERO.insight with java >8

Mark Carroll m.t.b.carroll at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Jun 13 14:49:05 BST 2018

On 06/13/2018 02:26 PM, Kai Schleicher wrote:

> I have recently encountered two users with java versions > 8 on their
> Mac laptops (specifically 10 and 11) who reported that the OMERO.insight
> client (we are still on 5.3.3) can not be started:
>
> "error in loading Java runtime environment."
>
> Is this maybe just a configuration problem on our side or possibly a
> more general issue?

https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/latest/omero5.4/sysadmins/version-requirements.html#java
is your problem: Java later than 8 simply isn't supported by OMERO 5.3.
The issue's on our radar and we have done some preliminary work -- for
example, as in the release notes Insight 5.4.1 added Java 9 support --
but I'm afraid that we don't currently have a specific short-term plan
for releasing general OMERO support for Java 9 and beyond.

Incidentally, we do especially have our eye on the release of Java 11,
expected in a few months' time, given that Oracle plan to offer
long-term support for it.

-- Mark