[ome-users] Bio-Formats ND2 importer bug

Sebastien Besson (Staff) s.besson at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Feb 9 16:01:54 GMT 2018

Hi Perrine and Michael,

Trying to answer a couple of issues raised on this thread.

Regarding the performance issue, similar reports began a few years ago as the size of the acquired ND2 files started to increase sharply. Bio-Formats 5.4.0 included a significant community contribution to provide a first round of performance improvement for this file format [1].

Our Bio-Formats development process includes the testing of about 200 representative ND2 filesets. The largest of ND2 file tested daily (~200G) definitely exhibited slow initialization times over a shared NFS mount prior to this performance improvements:

sbesson at necromancer ~ $ for i in $(seq 1 4); do ~/bftools-5.3.0/showinf -nopix /ome/data_repo/curated/nd2/sara/Ex9\ ALADIN\ WT\ KO\ KI\ 31_07_2013.nd2 | grep Initialization; done
Initialization took 394.658s
Initialization took 16.242s
Initialization took 16.168s
Initialization took 16.256s

Since Bio-Formats 5.4.0, the initialization time was drastically reduced so that our largest ND2 samples have been reincluded into our daily test suite, see [2] for the latest run on our current test system:

$ for i in $(seq 1 4); do ./bftools-5.7.3/showinf -nopix /ome/data_repo/curated/nd2/sara/Ex9\ ALADIN\ WT\ KO\ KI\ 31_07_2013.nd2 | grep Initialization; done
Initialization took 2.458s
Initialization took 2.514s
Initialization took 2.467s
Initialization took 2.457s

To help further with the slowness issue, it might be useful to have more specifics about the file size, mount option and performance metrics you are experiencing on your end.

Regarding the new ND2 bug, thanks as always for notifying us and uploading a representative sample file. Before we initiate more investigation, our understanding from the initial message is that the faulty files have been generated by the latest version of the acquisition software, is that correct? If this is the case, a definite possibility is that the data saved by the new acquisition software contains breaking changes to the Nikon ND2 format which invalidate assumptions of our reader. Has this issue been independently communicated to Nikon? If an update to Nikon software broke your workflow, perhaps you should report it to them?

Keeping up with new proprietary file formats or new versions of them is a perpetual challenge and not something that academic funding can support. Recent community efforts to engage with vendors led to significant contributions which have helped to reduce the burden of maintaining open-source tools essential for the accessibility and re-usability of scientific data. [3]

Best,
Sebastien

[1] https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.4.0/about/whats-new.html<http://docs.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.4.0/about/whats-new.html>
[2] https://web-proxy.openmicroscopy.org/next-ci/job/BIOFORMATS-test-folder/7982/console