[ome-users] Bio-Formats ND2 importer bug

David Gault (Staff) d.gault at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Feb 8 10:44:09 GMT 2018

Hi Stephane,

Thanks for getting in touch and providing a sample file allowing to reproduce. I can definitely confirm that with the latest Bio-Formats release only a single image is read and that exceptions are reported with previous versions. Bio-Formats has recently introduced an option in the Nikon ND2 reader to make use of the available chunkmap in order to speed up the reader initialization notably for very large Nikon ND2 files.  Although this change has been tested against all Nikon ND2 files in our data repository, we have received reports of issues caused by this change. We are continuing to make improvements to this behaviour but as an immediate workaround, disabling the chunkmap processing should restore the correct dimensionality.

In FIJI you can do this by disabling the following option:

Plugins -> Bio-Formats -> Bio-Formats Plugins Configuration -> Formats -> Nikon ND2 -> Disable Chunkmap option

Or using the Bio-Fomrats Java library you can disable it as below:

DynamicMetadataOptions options = new DynamicMetadataOptions();
options.setBoolean("nativend2.chunkmap", false);
reader.setMetadataOptions(options);

With Thanks,
David Gault