[ome-users] Purpose of cleanse script

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Mon Jun 12 16:52:13 BST 2017

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Carnë Draug <carandraug+dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi

Hi David,

> I was then told that the aim of the script was
> a workaround for Windows which could lock the files which prevented
> omero from removing the file.  So since Windows is no longer
> supported, is cleanse needed at all?

The chance of a file being left after a delete on Windows was always
much higher than on Posix systems, but it's still possible on any
platform.

> Also, the docs seem a bit contradictory.  In the docs about deleting [2]:
>
>       When Images, Plates or File Annotations have been successfully
>       deleted from the database the corresponding binary data is
>       deleted from the binary repository. It is possible that some
>       files may not be successfully deleted if they are locked for any
>       reason. In this case, the undeleted files can be removed
>       manually via omero admin cleanse.
>
> and the docs about backup [3]:
>
>     The OMERO.server does not remove files from disk until a cleanup
>     task has been run. A script to do this is included in the
>     OMERO.server distribution lib/python/omero/util/cleanse.py
>
> What does really happen?  And is cleanse still recommended?

`backup` is incorrect. `cleanse` is still recommended if you think
there are files which have been left dangling, e.g. after a
hard-reboot, though I would no longer consider it necessary to put in
a cron-job any longer.

I filed https://trello.com/c/Q4FH6fuV/575-53-clarify-cleanse. Thanks
for pointing it out!

Cheers,