[ome-users] intensity scaling problem when saving a .dv file

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Tue Dec 13 21:41:21 GMT 2016

Hi Kai,

> I am having a curious problem when saving a 16-bit *.dv file (ID 17471 on
> your sever). Please find below the code to see what exactly I did.
>
> In brief I open the raw data with the BF-importer, split the two channels,
> close channel 0 and export channel 1 using the BF-exporter.
>
> When I then open the just saved image using the BF-importer, it appears to
> be on a different intensity-scale (see attached screenshot).

Thank you for the detailed report - I can reproduce this problem with
Bio-Formats 5.3.0.

The issue is that the original file has pixel type int16 (signed
16-bit), which is transformed to uint16 (unsigned 16-bit) during
export.  We have a proposed fix here:

https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/pull/2696

but until there is a released fix you may be able to work around the
problem by adding this to the macro after the exporter plugin is run:

selectWindow("resaved_data.tif");
run("Calibrate...", "function=[Straight Line] unit=[Gray Value]
text1=[32768 65535] text2=[0 32767] show");

Alternatively, the 'bfconvert' command is not affected by this
problem, so you could instead convert the file to TIFF like this:

bfconvert -range 1 1 raw_data.dv resaved_data.tif

Regards,
-Melissa