[ome-users] Upgrade Considerations for OMERO 5.1 Recommended Specs

Simon Li spli at dundee.ac.uk
Tue Jan 27 11:52:27 GMT 2015

Hi David

The University of Dundee has had some major network problems since yesterday: http://blog.dundee.ac.uk/status/
This might've caused the upgrade check to fail.

Simon

On 27 January 2015 at 11:41, Mason, David [dnmason] <D.N.Mason at liverpool.ac.uk<mailto:D.N.Mason at liverpool.ac.uk>> wrote:
Hello list,

I recently read (with interest) the Version Requirements document for OMERO 5.1<https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero5.1/sysadmins/version-requirements.html>, and decided that it was probably worth upgrading our production server (OMERO 5.0.6 on Ubuntu 12.04LTS, Java 1.6, Python 2.7.3, Postgresql 9.1.14 Ice 3.4.2) to match 5.1 recommended specifications. Tests with my Virtual Machines went something like this:

- Stop omero server (and remove init.d entries to prevent autorun upon restart)
- run do-release-upgrade, keep originals of any modified files
- when upgrade is complete (with restart) install ice35
- Replace OMERO Ice34 build with OMERO Ice35 build and copy config file from old install (just like a regular OMERO upgrade)
- Start OMERO server. Diagnostics report Java 1.7, Python 2.7.6, Ice 3.5.1, psql 9.3.5
- Replace subsystem files for autorun

This lands me squarely in 5.1 recommended territory. Furthermore, everything works when accessed through insight and any pre-upgrade data are accessible.

The only 'issue' seems to be when I call the OMERO diagnostics, the upgrade check seems to fail:

OMERO Diagnostics 5.0.6-ice35-b53

ERROR:omero.util.UpgradeCheck:timed out
Commands:   java -version                  1.7.0     (/usr/bin/java)
Commands:   python -V                      2.7.6     (/usr/bin/python)
Commands:   icegridnode --version          3.5.1     (/usr/bin/icegridnode)
Commands:   icegridadmin --version         3.5.1     (/usr/bin/icegridadmin)
Commands:   psql --version                 9.3.5     (/usr/bin/psql)

This doesn't bother me in the slightest, but other than possible problems with nginx and omeroweb (that's testing for another day), is there anything else I've forgotten or should consider before upgrading?

Thanks to the OME team for continued awesomeness,

Dave Mason

Centre for Cell Imaging

Institute of Integrative Biology, Biosciences Building
University of Liverpool
Crown Street
Liverpool, L69 7ZB
United Kingdom