[ome-users] displaying histogram to adjust the intensity

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Fri Dec 18 12:48:04 GMT 2015

Hi Thomas,

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Thomas Julou
<thomas.julou at normalesup.org> wrote:
> Hi Will,
> Thanks for spelling out the challenges…
> Still, can’t you retrieve histogram values from the server along with the
> image (or even in the header of the 8-bit image)?

The images are typically retrieved as packed ints and so adding this
amounts to an API change. However it's done (a separate method or in
the same result), it's an addition we've been wanting to make but
haven't yet had the time for.

> I’m fine with that for the moment. But I realize this is very important to
> some people… To this matter again, computing the histogram on the server
> side seems to make more sense.

Definitely. I've filed https://trello.com/c/5SjwyaM4/112-histogram-api
to capture your feedback. (Feel free to comment further!) If you look
at http://blog.openmicroscopy.org/future-plans/community/2015/12/09/omero-status/
this would fall for us under the general banner of "rendering" and so
would likely follow our next effort on regions of interest.

> Thanks, I heavily rely on these features indeed!
> btw, I would like to raise again the saturation feature that you skipped in
> your answer. As soon as there are some bright pixels, e.g. dye clump or
> camera noise, this is really needed…

Similarly I've filed https://trello.com/c/QYUThW7D/113-saturation,
though not a recent to cease any discussion.

> Best,
> Thomas

Cheers,
~Josh.