[ome-users] CZI channel description

Emil Rozbicki emil at glencoesoftware.com
Sat Jul 12 10:04:51 BST 2014

Forwarded response from Forrest Collman:

Hi Emil,

thank you so much for taking a look at this issue, and making this available via the original metadata to me. I think i can use this to make my workflow work correctly.

However, I respectively disagree about the channel names in Zen.  It seems to me that the schema should be able to specify what the meaning of the channel that is acquired is, and that this information is critical to understanding what the image contains.  So with respect to Alexa 594 vs ASIC1... Alexa 594 corresponds to a fluorophore that Zen has preprogramed.. which corresponds to a choice of filter cube optimized to observe that fluorophore.  The user cannot enter ASIC1 as the channel name in ZEN, as ASIC1 is biological molecule, and ZEN doesn't know apriori what filter cube to use with it.  Alexa 594 is the fluorophore is attached to ASIC1 molecule of interest.  This is the meaning of the biological image.  To not have a way to include this in the OME-XML model seems fundamentally flawed.

Put another way, our microscope only has 4 filter wheels.  Every image it takes will have those channel names in ZEN, but we take images using hundreds of different antibodies which are tagged with different fluorophores. If the OME-XML schema doesn't let me write down what antibodies i was using when i snapped a picture, how it a useful tool to keep track of my data.

In ZEN, its only this description field that the user can use to input a "meaningful" name to display, that keeps track of what the true biological meaning of the image is.  That seems to me, to fit the description of the schema, much better than the name of the dye/filterset that was used in the image. Perhaps you still disagree, but there should be somewhere else that it exists within the data?

In any case, again, thank you so much for fixing this, I'll attempt to get the code pulled and compiled today.  I have been able to access the original metadata, so by pulling out these Keys I can get access to these channel names, so I'm happy, but I thought I'd lobby for the change to the OME-XML as well.

Best,
Forrest