[ome-users] Problem with Grid/Collection stitching plugin

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Oct 30 19:54:11 GMT 2013

Hi Kurt,

> I just wanted to thank you with your help with getting this working.

You're very welcome! Glad to hear it is working.

I hope you do not mind me CCing the ImageJ and OME lists. People often ask
for help solving technical problems, but rarely share their success stories
publicly. It helps the morale of the team, as well as future funding, to
know that people find these tools useful.

> I just did some extensive testing and using the image metadata results
> in great stitching of Micro-Manager data.  I'm impressed by the
> interoperability of all these different packages, which I guess owes a
> lot to Bioformats and the OME-TIFF file format.

There are many people who deserve thanks:

Stephan Preibisch did the hard work of authoring the stitching plugins.
http://fiji.sc/Stitching#Citation

Melissa Linkert, the primary Bio-Formats developer, implemented the
Micro-Manager reader, which makes extraction of the stage position metadata
possible.
http://openmicroscopy.org/site/about/licensing-attribution/citing-ome

Johannes Schindelin, the maintainer of Fiji, strives daily to ensure that
Fiji's various components remain compatible with one another.
http://fiji.sc/How_to_cite_Fiji%3F

The Micro-Manager team has done outstanding work and been very
collaborative.
http://www.micro-manager.org/wiki/Citing_Micro-Manager

The Open Microscopy Environment team maintains the OME-XML schema, which as
you point out is how the Stitching plugin can read stage position metadata
from so many different formats using Bio-Formats.
http://openmicroscopy.org/site/about/licensing-attribution/citing-ome

Continuing development of these projects would not be possible without the
efforts of the PIs, including Pavel Tomancak, Kevin Eliceiri and Jason
Swedlow. In particular, they organize invaluable "hackathons" where
developers get together to work on such interoperability. IIRC, it was at
one such event where Stephan made the Stitching plugins use Bio-Formats,
with the help of Melissa and myself.

Regards,
Curtis