[ome-users] dm4 imports with um scale instead of nm

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Oct 30 15:22:02 GMT 2013

Hi Stéphane, Melissa & everyone,

> just do values conversion when filling the metadata

Indeed, Bio-Formats does do value conversion in many cases. However, it is
a bit trickier when the unit is specified in the original file as a string,
which in general is tougher for Bio-Formats 4.x to deal with.

However, ImgLib2 solves the problem with built-in support for unit
conversions. Since SCIFIO leverages ImgLib2 and uses its meta API for axis
calibrations, it is now feasible for SCIFIO Translators -- which e.g.
standardize proprietary metadata to OME-XML -- to transparently convert
dimensional units to the ones OME needs for the schema. So as Bio-Formats
readers are ported to the SCIFIO infrastructure moving forward, these sorts
of unit issues will become less common.

Regards,
Curtis