[ome-users] FW: OMERO to OMERO communications?

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Tue Oct 8 13:59:57 BST 2013

On Oct 8, 2013, at 1:27 PM, John Webber (NBI) wrote:

> Hi Josh,

Hi John,

> Thank you for your quick reply.

Gladly.

> The data we are looking to share between two different Omero systems will be for viewing. The syncing will be one-way only though - images will not be shared back to the first Omero server.
>
> This syncing will purely be from on source / internal server through to a destination, externally visible server.  In this I am also alluding to the driving force for this set up:  we would like one Omero server that is externally facing in our DMZ, but we need a mechanism for scientists here to share images with external collaborators, who would like to view these images (and, if possible, workflows!)

Do you expect the collaborators to use both insight and web? Only web?

What do you mean by "workflows"?

> The two options I am currently evaluating are:
>
> 	(1)	As you mention below, exporting the data as OME-TIFF, from one Omero system and importing it into another.
> 	(2)	A mechanism to back up the source database and then restore this data to the other database regularly.

#2 is interesting. If that's something you think would work, then we could certainly try to help. It would be good to have another option. Most likely a post-processing script could be put together to strip away all the images except for a few well-known ones.

#1 could certainly be done with a script, but you'd need to hard-code the login information for the second server somewhere.

#2 could possibly be done as a script, but is likely better as a cronjob. You'll either need to have multiple versions of the read-only server and swap between them using DNS, or have a very short downtime between each reload.

> Thanks
> John

Cheers,
~Josh.